Friday, February 27, 2009

"I Don't Drink During the Season." ???????

What a lazy week its been. I got a ride in on Monday but that's about it. Its been nice to rest some. I've got everything planned out for the month of March. It looks like I'll be racing a lot. Coming up this Sunday, I'll be sweeping the back of the field in the Rocky Road Rash Hash. This isn't really a race (at least not for me). The following weekend will be an off weekend as far as the bike is concerned and I'll be backpacking with the wife on Cumberland Island. The 2nd weekend in March I'll be riding in the 6 hours of Heritage race. The 3rd weekend I'll race in the opening race of the Georgia Championship Series in Macon, Ga. Then the last weekend is going to be dedicated to a benefit ride in Pisgah National Forest for the Sorba chapter in that area. So March is gonna be a fun filled month. And to top it all off, the Tuesday/Thursday road group rides are starting back up. I've gotta figure out some time to spend with the wife.

Now, on to discussing the topic of this post. I was in the local bike shop this afternoon when one of the local riders came in. I don't want to name any names but he's a pretty cool guy. From what I know of him, he's a fast road rider as well. He is on the premier local road cycling team. So we were discussing the Rocky Road Rash Hash that's going on this Sunday. I asked him if he had a mountain bike or a cross bike and he stated he did. I told him that he should come out and ride with us. His return comment was that he had to get a 4 hour training ride in on Sunday. I said, "Take 4 hours to complete the 50 mile hash ride." He replied, "I don't know." I then opened the invitation and said, "It would be lots of fun. Bring your bike and bring some beer." That's when I got this look. He looked at me and was like, "Beer, during the season? You mountain bikers are something else. I don't drink during the season." I left it at that. Even if I quit drinking completely, I honestly don't think I'd ever notice a difference in my performance. Its just like shaving my legs, its ain't gonna happen. Like I said, this guy is actually a pretty cool guy but I just found it funny the way he responded to our event. The day cycling becomes a chore is the day I quit.

And if for some reason "you" are reading this post, here's an e-beer just for "you".



















Keep the rubber side down!!

No comments: